“Through synergy of intellect, artistry and grace came into existence the blessing of a dancer.” - Shah Asad Rizvi
PAYMENT AUTHORIZATION FORM
Samskriti Academy - Policies & Guidelines
- Registration: All students (both new and returning) will have to register annually at the beginning of the academic year and pay the registration fee. ALL class/level placements are solely the discretion of the Director.
- Academic calendar: Samskriti follows a nine month academic calendar from August/September to May/June. The academic year is organized into three sessions: Fall, Spring, and Summer. The monthly tuition is the same, irrespective of the number of classes - i.e. 3, 4 or 5 classes that occur each month. The number of classes averages out over the academic year. We also schedule special classes or extra classes as/when required.
- Attendance: Students are expected to attend classes regularly and maintain a regular home practice schedule to achieve steady progress and build confidence and proficiency. Each class builds on the skills learnt from the previous classes/levels and students will learn something new in every class - a new step, or a segment of choreography from the core curriculum or performance repertoire, new techniques, or theory material. Students who are absent without informing the director in advance OR who take long breaks without prior notice OR are frequently late or absent to class OR who default on their tuition payments, cannot be guaranteed a spot in their current level group. In case of an unforeseen emergency or a special situation, please notify us in writing (by email or Remind) as early as possible, so that we can make special accommodations.
- Class levels: Samskriti has a comprehensive and systematic curriculum that trains students for all the necessary skills that are required - from beginner to advanced/professional levels. The dance curriculum has clearly specified levels with a special curriculum for each level. The dance training program also includes indepth training in yoga, dance theory, and other allied arts like nattuvangam, choreography, nuances of rhythm, etc.
- Tuition: During the 'academic year,' the monthly tuition is payable in full, regardless of student absences due to travel, sickness, or any school events (eg. music concerts, science fair, fine arts festival, sports events, games, etc). Due to the progressive nature of the training, our dance/music faculty will have to put in extra time/effort to help students catch up on the curriculum that they have missed (due to their absence).Tuition will vary according to the class level and students who take multiple classes will get a discount. We will also implement fee structure changes from time to time.
- Make up classes: Missed a class? No worries.. Students can makeup their missed classes on any alternate day/time, by attending another class of a similar level. It is the responsibility of the student/family to keep a log of their missed classes, and communicate with the Artistic Director to coordinate makeup classes. Makeup classes can be scheduled either by attending classes twice weekly or as often as required. Please see our weekly schedule to determine suitable class level. Please note that students who miss multiple classes without attending makeup classes, may have to move to a lower level class. Due to the progressive nature of the training, our dance/music faculty will have to put in extra time/effort to help students catch up on the curriculum that they have missed (due to their absence). Students who miss a class should be proactive in communicating their absence to the Artistic Director ahead of time and schedule makeup classes.
- Dance/Music Assessments: Students will have assessments in both practical and theory when they complete each foundational level. There will be a combination of group and individual assessments to ensure that the student is ready to handle the next level curriculum. We will send out periodic updates on class information. If you need additional feedback on your child's progress, please make an appointment to meet with the director. We will reach out to you if we feel that your child needs additional support.
- Dress code for Dance - Dance students should wear a comfortable kurtha OR long loose top and tights for the classes. Teenage and adult students should wear a comfortable salwar-kameez or kurtha-tights, with a dupatta. Jeans, short tops, sleeveless tops, skirts, T-shirts, and tight fitting clothes will NOT be permitted as they will hinder the student during yoga/dance practice.
- Dress code for Music - Music students should wear long, comfortable pants that enable them to sit cross-legged on the floor. Shorts, skirts (any length) and sleeveless tops will NOT be allowed.
- Things to bring to class: Both dance and music students are required to bring a water bottle and their dance notebook, music book and their dance/music binder to every class.
- Samskriti organized performances: Students will have ample opportunities to participate in stage performances when they are ready to handle challenging dance choreography and music compositions. Besides our own annual dance-music production, we also get invitations to participate in community events year-round. The annual production is open to students of all ages/levels.
- Extra classes/Special classes: For community events and special events, students will have to specifically commit to attending extra classes/rehearsals, follow an intensive home practice schedule and pay the required participation/training fees. They should be regular to class, competent, deeply committed, and also be fully available on performance day as it takes considerable time to do makeup, hair, costume, travel to performance venue, etc.
- Performance opportunities: Students who get invited to perform at their school or any other community organization, are strongly advised to discuss the performance opportunity with the director and get her explicit permission before accepting the program. We always encourage our students to showcase their talents. However, we will need to ensure that the student is well-prepared and representing our academy in the best way possible. PLEASE GIVE RESPECTFUL AND DUE CREDIT TO THE TEACHER/CHOREOGRAPHER WHEN YOU REPRESENT SAMSKRITI.
- Video productions: Samskriti is also curating special thematic video productions to give additional opportunities to our students to showcase their talents.
- Parent-Teacher Communication: Please ONLY use Remind or email for routine communication and to inform us of class absence. Please DO NOT send whatsapp messages or call the cell phone number. You can call the studio number at (630) 527-1498 when required and leave a voicemail. We will call you back at our earliest convenience. If you need to talk by phone or in-person with the Artistic Director, please send a message on Remind or an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and she will reach out to you.
- Inclement weather closings: During inclement weather, class cancellations will be determined by road conditions and weather reports. We will post an update on the Samskriti website home page and send a message on Remind. Please check the website before you leave home. As always, use your best judgment as safety is the primary concern.
- Annual holidays: Spring break, Easter weekend, Memorial weekend, July 4th weekend, Labor weekend, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Year (winter break).
Samskriti offers a one-of-a-kind unique and holistic training program in Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi, and Carnatic Music along with allied arts like choreography, nattuvangam, yoga and vedic heritage. Our curriculum is carefully designed to be systematic, rigorous, and detail-oriented, with indepth focus on each students' personalized growth and a goal-oriented path to achieve the highest level of expertise, knowledge and performance experience. We believe in creating a positive and nurturing space for learning that is based on a great respect for the artform/teacher, a genuine interest to learn, a high level of motivation, and a sincere effort to keep improving. Most importantly, becoming a full-fleged dancer or musician takes years of consistent training, tireless effort, and a deep passion for the arts. We ONLY accept serious students who are committed to long term training with Samskriti Academy and have the discipline, dedication and determination to succeed.
Starting November 2020, we will be transitioning to a new tuition payment system. Please fill out the online form and provide all the details so that we can set up your account. The account set up process will take a few weeks. Thank you for your patience!
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Inclusion
The programs and outlook of Samskriti Foundation reflect the cultural diversity of our community. We do not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity/expression. All our programs are open to people of all ability levels. We welcome individuals with special needs to participate in our programs.